Saturday, 30 May 2015

Meditating Made Simple: How I Explained It to a 10-Year-Old




From The Huffington Post  
by Lulu Salavegsen

"...Recently my daughter asked me: "How do you really meditate? It's seems weird! I mean, how do I literally do it?"

Presented with a question like this, I get giddy! Translating something seemingly obscure with deep descriptions, but simplifying it makes me happy.

It went something like this:

It's like the mind is a blank white board, with a fresh start every morning. Then, life "happens." Adults encounter moods, people, stress, news, work, the long list of "to do's" and all the underlying emotional stuff on top of it. The "board" gets scribbled on and covered until no white is left! The point is to breathe deeply, sit in your own quiet to clear the board, wash it over, and erase the noise. What is the negative? You waste five minutes? I do that on social media daily.

How To Meditate (or at least my subjective suggestions):

1. Find a quiet place to sit, lay or be in lotus position.
2. Try to set aside a five or 10-minute block of time (increase to 20-90 minutes as you improve).
3. However you are positioned, close your eyes and try to think of nothing, soften your eyelids, feel your eyes get heavy in their sockets. Let your facial expressions melt into a calm. Relax even your tongue, feel it heavy and lay at the base of your mouth.
4. Stay in that quiet as long as you can.

Easy right? Nope! Not If your mind keeps reminding that you're hungry, or your foot is falling asleep, preschool sign-up is tomorrow... etc. So let me get specific because just getting kid-free, work-free space is near impossible. So here are some other options I love and actually benefit more from:

-- Find cool ambient or chanting music. I Love "Breath of the Heart" by Krishna Das, but go find whatever fits you, there are so many commercialized "meditative collections" available these days.

-- I took a suggestion from Buddha. He recommends we try to smile with every single part of the body starting with your forehead, eyes, nose, mouth, chin, throat, ribs, heart, tummy, hips, thighs, knees, all the way to your toes. Usually, I'm beaming after this, simple exercises... and it takes about 8-10 minutes depending on how detailed you get. Try it! ..."   read it all 

No comments:

Post a Comment