Thursday, 19 March 2015

Exercise, music and meditation: How to rebuild your brain after a stroke




From The Express
by Rachel Carlyle

"...Practising mindfulness (where you live in each moment and accept your thoughts as they come and go rather than try to change them) and meditation have been shown to change the structure of the brain. Research has proved that two of the four areas of the pre-frontal cortex (the “thinking” part of the brain behind the forehead) thicken and strengthen. Meditation also calms and stabilises the mind, which helps with the brain-training exercises.

David started with barely 10 minutes of meditation every morning in a shed in his garden. “It was so hard to focus on anything at first, but gradually I built it up to 30 minutes a session. I also try to practise mindfulness throughout the day – so if I’m doing something as mundane as brushing my teeth, I’m trying to be aware of only the brushing, not the 10 things I need to do afterwards.

It’s a slowing down. I’m impressed with how I can now watch my own thoughts and feelings come and go without getting irritated or annoyed, just accepting them. The evidence is pretty clear, even in an eight-week programme, that it changes your brain structure long-term and gets better the more you practise...”  full article


No comments:

Post a Comment